Friday, March 14, 2008

Dad would be proud (I think)

Every once in awhile we will have some merchandise at work that shows up in the break room that employees can bid on for the chance to take it home. Items can range from blemished clothing to gift lodge items and usually sit there for a week or so before bidding ends.

I headed to the break room the other day and there was a print from Terry Redlin (South Dakota's most renowned "artist") up for bidding. Deb asked the question, "What's wrong with it?" to which I responded, "What's wrong with it is that it's a Redlin." Thankfully, Deb and I have had conversations about movies, culture and the performing arts before, so I knew I didn't really need to put the filter on. She argued the "artist giving the people what they want in order to make a living" angle and I argued the "artistic integrity thrown away in order to cash in by creating cheap, pop-art crap" angle.

It was fun and I finally got to vent about one of the gift lodge's cash cows in a way that I have refrained from doing since starting at Scheels.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Yup, pretty proud :)

...Dad