Monday, February 04, 2008

Super Bowl stuff

Great game! I didn't really have a team that I was rooting for going in, but found by halftime that I was pulling for the Giants. You would think with the rivalry that New England shares with the Colts that I would want anyone but them to win, but my hatred of other teams doesn't really run that deep once my teams are elimated from contention.

My desire to see New York win was probably somewhat fueled by all of the cheating allegations that have come out in regards to New Enland's Super Bowl win over St. Louis. As a fan of the game, I'm very put out by the prospect that a team that has had the "dynasty" label attached to it may have blatantly broken league rules to acheive that label. I guess my justice streak runs pretty deep.

As for the commercials, there were a few I liked and a bunch I didn't. On both ends of the spectrum were ads from Budweiser. I liked the Bud Light fire commercial to kick things off. The Will Ferrell one was funny, if a little off color. Their beer may taste horrible, but at least their commercials are entertaining (for the most part).

I was disgusted to see in the paper that the Clydesdales scored high again. I have long despised Budweiser's Clydesdale ads (with the exception of some of the football playing ones). They are overhyped, overly sentimental and, again, their beer tastes like (insert your euphemism here). The whole "Rocky" thing was uninspired and predictable and I pray that the day will come when the Clydesdales are no longer treated like a national institution.

The only good thing about the football season ending is that it means the spring classics in cycling are about to begin. While other football fans go into fetal position until pre-season NFL games kick off again, I get to start enjoying my other favorite sport.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

The OTHER good thing about Football ending is that NASCAR is beginning.

Anonymous said...

Unfortunately, I don't share your lack of hatred for other teams once mine lose. Not when it comes to the Patriots and Bill Belichick.

Needless to say, I agree this was probably the best Super Bowl I've ever watched in terms of pure football. Aside from one of my teams winning the Super Bowl, this season (for me) could not have ended any better!