Thursday, December 13, 2007

Unexpected Opportunities

Now, before anybody starts to worry or hope, we have no intentions of going anywhere for the time being. But, we have learned of a few opportunities that we weren't expecting.

In a conversation with Ronda Myers we learned that Hanfield's Worship Arts Pastor resigned. I don't know the situation, but we've had a few email exchanges with friends where they've let us know they'd love for us to consider staying when we come back for Rachel's wedding in a few weeks. Obviously, we are flattered and we would love to serve alongside our friends and Hanfield family again, but I don't sense any strong move in that direction.

Another interesting thing came up this week. We had applied for a job in Hastings, Nebraska two summers ago and were only about two weeks away from making a trip there for an interview weekend when I sensed the Lord telling us that we weren't supposed to go. Now, whether the Lord was saying, "No" or "Not at this time" I am not sure, but I had a call from Randy, the Senior Pastor, the other night asking if we would consider discussing and praying about the position again.

The situation is that the church is running about 500-600 in attendance and needs someone to lead the existing worship ministry (primarily a blended style) as well as helping to found and facilitate an alternative worship service. They never did call anyone to that position as they really want to find someone with the right mix of gifts and experience. Again, we're flattered that our conversations with Randy and other staff nearly 18 months ago left enough of an impression that they would still be thinking about us, but we're not sensing a strong pull away from Sioux Falls at this time.

At the same time, I did tell Randy that we would discuss it and pray about it. When we were called from Hanfield, I was very clear through prayer that I was willing to go anywhere God wanted me to go and do anything He wanted me to do. At the time, that was fueled by a great deal of restlessness and a desire for change. If I still believe that I would go anywhere and do anything the Lord asks then I need to be open to His leading when I am comfortable and settled as well.

Randy and I agreed to speak again after the first of the year to see whether to continue the conversation or not.

Again, nobody freak out. We're not planning on going anywhere for the time being, but want to continue to practice listening to the leading of God rather than simply making gut level, hasty decisions without talking to Him about it. We love Sioux Falls and proximity to family. Amy's home and USF studios are doing well. Xander loves his school and is making friends. I'm enjoying my job (most days). We love our home. We love our church (as challenging and hard as it is sometimes). There are a lot of things pointing to us staying, but we need to see what God has to say about it.

No comments: