Thursday, December 13, 2007

A New (Used) Trainer

I am happy to announce the retirement of the late '80's model Supergo wind trainer that I have used as my bike trainer for the better part of 20 years. I had the chance to upgrade to a CycleOps Fluid 2 trainer that I bought from Bryan at work. Bryan upgraded to a spin bike that Mike, our store manager, upgraded from after one year of use.

My Supergo was great for me, but was way too loud to use in the house that we're in now. Before I could always put it in the basement, but here I was stuck putting it in the garage which is about the last place that I want to spend time riding a bike both aesthetically and from a comfort/temperature standpoint.

I rode the new trainer yesterday morning in the family room right next to the bedroom and Amy said that it didn't bother her. The nice thing was that I was able to watch tv while on the trainer for the first time since Colorado. I selected the 2005 Tour for my viewing pleasure and spun for a half hour or so. Not a huge effort, but it has given me hope that it will be a better off season on the bike than I've probably ever had.

As for the outdoor scene, I ordered some studded tires for the mountain bike for riding in the snow and ice when other weather permits. I'll need to wait to pick them up for awhile yet, but hope that if the forecast looks good I might even be able to take a bike to Indiana with me when we go for Rachel's wedding in a few weeks. I'm crossing my fingers as I would love to ride some while we're back.

No comments: