Friday, December 07, 2007

Rest, Weariness and Worship

I actually had a full day yesterday where I didn't have any obligations. No work, no rehearsals, no product meetings... I still had coffee with Aaron, lunch with the girls and did my general "Dad" stuff, but I was happy to not have the extras. It seems like those days come less and less frequently.

On a related note, a topic of conversation with Shel in terms of worship leading is how often I express weariness during the course of congregational worship. I didn't realize how often I was exploring that theme and I think he was right to call me on it. In the past, my weariness was less frequent, so when I was tired and acknowledged it in corporate worship it was a way of not only asking for God's strength, but also to let the congregation know that it is still possible to worship powerfully out of emptiness. Because I find myself in that place more often though, it needs to be a theme worn less on my sleeve.

So, I'm working on leading with joy and energy as I seek to be the kind of leader the congregation needs at this point in time. Add to that the challenge to lead more charismatically and there's a lot that I'm learning about worship leading right now.

On the charismatic end of things, the last few Sundays that we've led have been some of the more powerful Sundays in terms of an obvious anointing of the Holy Spirit. I think that we've had a few breakthrough moments as leaders that have helped the congregation begin to understand the dynamic of worship in a way that is bringing freedom in our corporate expression. Hopefully it is a trend that continues and our best days of congregational worship are still ahead.

No comments: