Monday, November 19, 2007

I got pulled over on the way home from the bar last night


Okay, before anyone overreacts, I was at Nutty's North (a local bar and live music hot spot) for a service that Mercy Church started recently that meets every other Sunday night, so I was not at the bar for ill purposes. More about the service later, but first: the drive home.

I headed out shortly after 8:00 hoping to make it home in time to help Amy put Xander to bed. Nutty's is on a frontage road and I had a stop sign with a quick left turn followed immediately by another stop sign with a right turn to get onto the main thoroughfare. I will readily admit that I made a pretty poor attempt at stopping at the first sign and did much better at the second sign, since I saw the police car. I made my turn onto the main road and immediately the lights came on.

I figured he probably saw me come out of Nutty's and wants to make sure I haven't been drinking. I was hoping for a quick breathalyzer which I would ace since I didn't have anything to drink and then to be on my way. It turns out he wasn't too pleased with my disregard of the first stop sign and asked me why I ran it while I sat in the car next to him. I had no response. He looked up my info and said, "I'm going to give you a warning. Tell Amy and Xander 'Hi' for me." It turns out that the officer was the father of one of Xander's classmates. Embarrassing to be sure, but... Am I lucky or what?

So, back to the service. I ran sound for the service which had about 15 people in attendance and hopefully will grow into the vision of an outreach service that we all have for it. It started with a couple of songs with Bobbi, Nich, Corey and Mike (all regulars on our worship team) followed by a testimony from Bobbi, short message from Shel, an open mic discussion time on the topic (forgiveness) and a few closing songs. This was only the second run at the Nutty's service, but we're hoping to fine tune some things before advertising it on a broader basis. I think it has a lot of potential and it will be interesting to see where it goes.

1 comment:

JGaroutte said...

LUCKY!!!! I just got pulled over on Friday, for "Avoiding a traffic signal." There was a ton of traffic, so I turned down a side street/entrance to a parking lot, and went around the long way... Note: The long way... on top of that, it's like a block away from the light--I MAY AS WELL HAVE TURNED DOWN A DIFFERENT STREET!

The great part? $150 ticket and likely 6 points on my currently empty record (the Indiana limit is 12--I could have gotten off lighter for driving like an idiot)...