Wednesday, May 30, 2007

Race Update and other events

After week 2 of our Race Across America, we're back in the running. Josiah logged 243 miles last week to make up for the miles that he missed the previous week due to participating in the Fargo Marathon. Jeffrey and I logged our standard 125 and Torey waited for better weather that never came and finished with 102 for the week. That means he's got 148 to log this week to put us back on track. I think he hates road cycling and may never touch a roadie again, even if he wins one.

I've already done three rides this week for about 90 of my maximum allowable 125 miles and have felt pretty good. I rode with Jeffrey on Monday morning and Tuesday morning and with Dave from the shop tonight for about 30 miles. Dave is borrowing my LeMond Zurich while I'm riding the bike they gave me for the race. I thought Dave was going to kill me he started so fast. We were cruising through town at 25 mph and once we hit the open road outside of town he was pulling me along at 32 mph (with the wind). I was thinking, "We've got 20 miles to go and I'm going to completely blow up soon."

Thankfully, we hit the hills pretty soon. I was in the front for the first hills and rode them pretty aggressively. I was hurting, but I felt like I was climbing stronger than I have all year. These hills were the same ones that Bryan, Dick and the boys destroyed me on a few months back. When we hit the end of the first rolling section, I could tell Dave was a bit tired. After we turned and hit a few more hills, he had hit the wall. Thankfully, the pace slowed at that point as we had about 12 miles into the wind to do from there. Dave recovered pretty well by the time we were back in town and we got back to the house at about 8:00.

We changed clothes and headed to Bob's Diner for dinner. Bob's is a great, lunch counter joint that I love and don't get to experience all that often. We closed Bob's down and now I've got the rest of the night to myself.

Amy and the kids are in Yankton for the night. I'll get together with Aaron for coffee in the morning, do a light 35 mile ride to finish my required miles for the week and maybe do a little songwriting and planning for Sunday's outdoor bash at church. I'm looking forward to having the day off and have this weekend off as well. A little time off will be much appreciated.

No comments: