Friday, May 11, 2007

Advice for recreation

A friend posted a comment a few postings ago that I'd like to address in a broader sense because I think in a lot of cases we've lost sight of the purpose for recreation.

For many of us, weight loss and "getting in shape" serve as the main reason why we exercise. When we make weight loss the primary goal of exercise, we become a slave to weight loss, body image, competitive drive or whatever else it may be that is our main motivator. It sucks the joy out of the activity. I think you're better off making the experience the primary goal recognizing that some of these other areas will take care of themselves if you are simply enjoying what you do.

Cycling is that way for me. I really don't have much in terms of performance goals (usually) other than a few organized rides like the Tour de Kota where I know that when the event comes around, I need to be up to the task of riding a 100 mile day or I won't enjoy it at all. Because I don't set as many performance goals, I am free to ride because I love the experience. I love the opportunity for meditation and to be out in the beauty of nature. I love how the endorphins it releases makes me feel more rested and alert. I love that it does help me look better, but also allows me to eat more of the foods that I like. I also love when I'm able to see that I've accomplished something whether it is a long ride or a fast ride. But it all comes back to the fact that I just love the bike.

Recreation should be just that: re-creation. It should be something that shapes us in new ways to better enjoy the life that God has given us. We fight a battle with recreation on two fronts. On one front, we are so driven by the demands of job, family, school, ministry... that we feel guilty about doing things that aren't "productive" in the sense of meeting a responsibility or perceived expectation. On the other front, we engage in "recreation" that isn't life giving in an attempt to escape the demands we feel that either are self-destructive or mind numbing and disengaging (I'll allow you to decide which activities fit those descriptions).

I'm still early in my thinking on this and would love to hear what you think. I may write more later, but would welcome the insights of others as well.

No comments: