Saturday, March 17, 2007

An Actual, Authentic, All Natural Day Off

For the first time in I don't know how long, I have an entire day with no work, lessons, appointments or other obligations. I find myself paralyzed. I don't know when this might happen again and I don't want to waste the day. But would actually having a full day of rest and watching the NCAA tournament be a waste?

Alright, so I'm really not all that wound up about deciding what I'm going to do today. The weather is such that my biggest decision will be whether to go for a bike ride this afternoon even though it's only supposed to be about 44 degrees out. I did get out on Tuesday morning for a short ride between meeting with Shel at the church and going to work at the store. I only had about 45 minutes, but decided that 45 minutes on the road was preferable to 45 minutes on the trainer in the basement. 11 messy miles later, I had finished my first ride of the year.

Usually I'm good for at least one January/February ride, but this year the weather and my schedule have conspired to keep me off the South Dakota roadways until now. Even though the weather has been better and the snow has nearly all melted, I still have found myself working on the nice days and free on the cold, wet days. It's been a bit depressing, but I think I should be able to develop a rhythm soon.

As for work, things have been a whirlwind. This week saw us pack up all of the cold weather coats and accessories and increased our bike area so that it's about four times what it has been to this point. It will take a few more day for us to get our shop all set up, but we've seen a big increase in bike sales over the last week. We've still got a lot of last year's bikes to move, but it's shaping up to be a fun year in bikes.

Now I have to get acclimated to the "manager" part of my title and figure out what I need to do when it comes to inventory and ordering. Everything is happening so fast that I haven't quite been able to catch how to do all of the things I'm supposed to do. It will come, but it probably would have been better for me to start this job a few months earlier so that I could get settled in before the spring rush of activity. I know I'll catch up, but this week will be another flurry of activity and the two following weeks will see me going to Wisconsin for my Trek trip and attending golf training back in Sioux Falls.

All told, things seem to be settling into a rhythm. Granted, the tempo is a little quicker than I like to function at, but at least I'm doing things that I'm passionate about. Between selling bikes, leading worship and teaching trumpet I'm active in just about every area that I've ever imagined myself working in. Now I just need to figure out how to balance it all.

No comments: