Wednesday, October 04, 2006

Church Job Search Update

After several months of sporadic conversation, we are finally scheduled to go lead worship at Mercy Church in a few weeks. We will lead a rehearsal and a service and have an interview session with their search team all in the same weekend. They've been taking their time with the hiring process since the person they hired last year didn't even make it six months. They're a bit gun shy after that experience and want to make sure that they don't make a rushed decision.

It would only be part time (probably 10 hours a week or less), but would be a nice place to get back into ministry. They are a Christian Missionary Alliance Church which means they are a bit more to the Pentecostal end of the spectrum than Hanfield was, but this is still South Dakota, so it promises to be a more stoic Pentecostal setting.

After having visited over the summer, it seems like a place where we would have a bit of freedom in terms of our personal worship styles. As much as I loved Hanfield, I almost always felt like I was holding back. It was a good thing because I learned a lot about a worship leader's need to be submissive to the needs of a congregation, but there were a lot of occasions where I really wanted to lead without feeling like a filtered version of myself. While I recognize that submission and humility are a part of leadership, Mercy seems like a place that would be a more natural fit for my personality.

As usual, I'm trying not to get ahead of things. God has called us off from several ministry opportunities in the last year and this one could turn out to be another place where God has other plans. It's still fun to dream a bit.

No comments: