Tuesday, January 25, 2005

Where I feel like I'm headed

Dreaming, praying, debating (primarily with myself) and seeking have probably defined me this month. Other than a sense that God is calling us to uproot and move to Sioux Falls, SD in order to reach out to artists in the community, things have been fairly vague. Details like how to pay the bills, how to sell this house (in an unfavorable economy) and how to feed the kids make some kind of a job on the other side of this fairly important. Problem is, we don't really know vocationally what God wants us to do.

Here's what I do know: God has been allowing us to dream a great deal about different ways to reach out to artists in Sioux Falls (musical, visual, performing...) in hopes of encouraging and equipping artists to create redemptive art as an act of worship. I believe that creative artists have a creative urge because of the image of God that is stamped on their lives. God is the ultimate creative artist and loves when we that have the creative urge create in an effort to reflect that part of his character.

One thought that's been pretty consistent has been the idea of a monthly fellowship gathering for artists where we can worship together, learn together, network and be challenged to stretch in our calling as creative artists. My hope is that the art that emerges from this type of setting would begin to be seen community wide and would give us credibility as artists to engage and influence creative artists throughout the area. I am imagining a day when the art that is created in Sioux Falls takes more influence from artists with a Christian worldview instead of having artists in the Christian community trying to always imitate what is being produced "out there." That's been a particular rant of mine for a while that I might explore in another post.

I could even see the possibility of doing a church plant with "twenty-something" artists as the target group. I would definitely want to partner with someone that would be a compliment to Amy and me to do something like that though. I can't see being "the guy" in charge of a congregation. I just recognize too many deficiencies in myself to forge ahead without some covering.

I'll probably just continue to post other ideas and dreams for ministry to artists as they come to me.

No comments: