Tuesday, December 23, 2008

Ready for some down time, and some tropical temps

I must admit, I had it easy last month. My schedule at the store made it so that I rarely worked more than three days in a row and really didn't have a lot of extra stuff to worry about. This month, my men's cold weather shop has taken off, I had to do pre-orders for the bikes we'll get in January-May (which historically has been a November thing rather than a week before Christmas thing) and I've had to work a normal schedule. Tomorrow will be my first day off since last Wednesday when I spent three hours at the store working on the bike program.

Fortunately, things fall somwhat in my favor over the next few days with Wednesday/Thursday off (heading to Yankton), work on Friday before heading to Mom and Dad's, and home again Saturday night with Sunday service at Mercy and the rest of the day off. After that, it's back to the normal schedule with the advantage that I will go back to having to work only one Sunday a month. They don't let me do that during the holidays which is not an issue for me.

I've talked to a few people going on trips to warm places over the next few weeks and will have to patiently wait for our trip to Jamaica in March. I won the trip through the store by making my "trip goal" in sales. My bike shop also qualified me for a trip, but I get a bonus in lieu of a second trip which means we'll have enough cash to pick up some t-shirts for the kids and maybe go on a few excursions while we're there.

Jamaica seems like a dream with as cold as it's been. Between fresh snow and blowing snow, I have been outside with the shovel every morning for the last week clearing something and the temps have been anywhere from 14 degrees to -15 with a -49 wind chill factor. It's not been pleasant, but what do you expect in South Dakota. Every day the weather gives me an excuse to day dream about all inclusive, tropical bliss with my baby poolside. Less than three months to go.

No comments: