Tuesday, May 27, 2008

Improvisitory dining and other Memorial Day events

Memorial Day found me at work (again) where we had high hopes with good weather and were running from open to close. The only downside of the day was that I had four customers who I needed to special order bikes for. This on a day when if I would have been able to sell them something that I had in stock I would have received commission and a half (3%) instead of the normal 2%. Oh well. I had a really good day anyway and enjoyed the pace more than I have over the last 10 days.

I did have to build a bike myself for a customer during my lunch break because we didn't have the size that we needed. I had tried to push it off until later in the day, but the customer needed to be on the road before when I thought we could finish it, so I told them two hours and planned to build it myself. I grabbed my lunch (yogurt and granola) and headed to the shop to build. I reached the shop before realizing that I didn't have a spoon. I really didn't want to run back up to my desk, so I improvised and used a Pedro's Tools tire lever instead. I think the shop guys found great humor in the utensil selection.

Meanwhile, back at the homestead Amy, Jim and Marilyn put a coat of paint on the inside of the garage and hung peg racks and some peg board to get the garage put together a bit more. By the time I got home, Jim was putting on the finishing touches and everything was looking great. The only casualty of the day was the beer that I knocked over while putting my bike back on the Thule car that spilled all over the floor and camping chairs. The floor was easy to clean, the camping chairs may smell like beer for the rest of their existence. That should be fun the next time we take them to a church function!

No comments: