Saturday, March 23, 2013

An unwelcome guest

Some things do not go according to plan. Instead they sneak up, sucker punch you, move into your house, and refuse to leave. Cancer is like that.

We received a diagnosis on Wednesday that flipped our world upside down. Amy has breast cancer. I still can't say it with any sense that the statement is based in reality, but there it is. If you haven't read Amy's story, take a minute to read it here and then come back.

Obviously, I am blessed beyond reason to be married to this woman. Her outer beauty still stuns me after 20 years of marriage, and it can only be eclipsed by her heart, character, spirit, and the depth of her faith. Her beauty has grown over time as I've watched Jesus transform, refine, and redeem her. I hate that she has to go through this and hurt so badly for her as we consider what may be on the road before us. At the same time, just when I didn't think I could possibly love her more, God gives me an opportunity to experience that love in an entirely new way.

We have both had our moments over the last few days as fresh emotions and new fears have washed over us. I held her in the exam room right after we first heard the news as she allowed herself a moment to purge herself of the emotions she was feeling. She has held me, in return, as I've expressed how helpless I feel and how desperately I need her. The smallest thing can be overwhelming and catch us completely by surprise, but nothing can shake our faith or belief that Amy will beat this.

We have also been overwhelmed at the outpouring of support from so many that we have been blessed to experience life with over the years. We know, beyond any shadow of a doubt, that we are loved and can constantly feel ourselves lifted in prayer by hundreds and hundreds of people.

Cancer may be an unwelcome guest, but there is absolutely no question that we are in this together and that we will come out the other side stronger as a couple and stronger in our faith.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

You and Amy are a beautiful couple and one can learn so much about God's plan for marriage by watching you both. Many prayers coming your way and anything else you may need. Love you guys!

jdart said...

Love love love you so much!! We are praying for strength for you and for your doctors' wisdom in treating this cancer. God will prevail!!

Anonymous said...

Thanks Faythe & Janice! Blessed by the encouragement.